| Archives - Features
- Proceedings of the September 2010 Annual Meeting of the International Mine Water Association are now available (http://www.imwa.info/IMWA/index.php)
- 27th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation (ASMR), June 4-10, 2010, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2010 Applied Science Request for Proposals from the Office of Surface
- The Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME): February 28-March 3, 2010, in Phoenix,
- The 17th British Columbia Metal Leaching, Acid Drainage Workshop will be held December 1-2,2010 in Vancouver BC, Canada
- American Chemical Society (ACS) 240th National Meeting & Exposition will
be August 22-26, 2010 in Boston, Massachusetts.
- The 32nd Annual National Association of Abandoned Mine Land
Programs (NAAMLP) Conference will be in Scranton, Pennsylvania,
September 19-22, 2010.
- 2010 Symposium International Mine Water Association will be held
September 5–9, 2010, in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Proceedings available for 8th International Conference on Acid Rock
Drainage (ICARD) held June 23-26 2009, Skelleftea, Sweden.
- 7th National Monitoring Conference--Monitoring from the Summit to the
Sea will be held April 25-29, 2010 in Denver, CO, USA.
- 2010 Joint Conference: 27th American Society of Mining and Reclamation,
12th Pennsylvania Abandoned Mine Reclamation, and 4th Appalachian
Regional Reforestation Initiative annual meetings will be held June
5-10, 2010 in Pittsburgh, PA, USA. Abstracts for presentations are due
October 19, 2009.
- 2009 Geological Society of America will be held October 18-21, 2009 in
Portland, OR, USA. Various sessions include presentations on
geochemistry, water quality, hydrology, and geology in mined settings.
- International Mine Water Association (IMWA) Symposium 2009: Pretoria
(South Africa), October 19-23, 2009, CSIR Conference Centre, Pretoria
- 24th International Applied Geochemistry Symposium, June 1-4, 2009 at the
Univ. of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB.
- 30th Annual West Virginia Mine Drainage Task Force (WVMDTF) Symposium is
March 31 - April 1, 2009 at the Ramada Inn, Morgantown, WV.
- World of Coal Ash (WOCA) Conference is May 4-7, 2009 in Lexington,
- 26th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation
(ASMR) and the 11th Billings Land Reclamation Symposium is May 30 - June
5, 2009, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Billings, MT.
- 8th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD) is June
23-26 2009, Skelleftea, Sweden.
- 11th Annual Pennsylvania Conference on Abandoned Mine Reclamation (PA
AML/AMR) is July 13-16, 2009 at the University of Pittsburgh Campus in
- 3rd National Conference on Ecosystem Restoration (NCER) is July 20-24,
2009, Los Angeles, California.
- Office of Surface Mining, Reclamation, and Enforcement requests
proposals for Applied Science Cooperative Agreements related to Coal
Mining and Reclamaiton (due Jan. 16, 2009)
- Diurnal Cycling of Chemical Constituents in Surface Water and Related Media-Scientific and Regulatory Considerations
- British Columbia 32nd Annual Mine Reclamation Symposium "Mine
Reclamation, Biodiversity and Integrated Land Use," September 15-18,
2008, Kamloops, British Columbia. The British Columbia Technical and
Research Committee on Reclamation.
- MEMD "Mine Environment Neutral Drainage" Symposium 2008 -- MINES and the
ENVIRONMENT, November 2-5, 2008, Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada.
- Innovative Remediation Technology Conference, November 6-7, 2008,
Denver, Colorado. American Institute of Professional Geologists.
Abstracts due: August 29, 2008.
- Metals fate and transport modelling in streams and watersheds: state of
the science and USEPA workshop review. Hydrological Processes
- 2008 Abandoned Mine Reclamation & Coal Mining Heritage Conference
- Abandoned Mine Posts: The 10th PA AMR Conference: Reclaiming
Our Past, Shaping Our Future
- Dissolved metals and associated constituents in abandoned
coal-mine discharges, Pennsylvania, USA: 1. Constituent concentrations
- Dissolved metals and associated constituents in abandoned
coal-mine discharges, Pennsylvania, USA: 2. Geochemical controls on
- 10th IMWA Congress Mine Water and the Environment , June 2-5,
2008 Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad), Czech Republic
- The Joint Conference of the 6th International Acid Sulfate Soil
Conference and the Acid Rock Drainage Symposium Guangzhou, China; September 16-20, 2008.
- A simulation-based approach for estimating premining water
quality: Red Mountain Creek, Colorado.
- Understanding contaminants associated with mineral deposits
- Passive aerobic treatment of net-alkaline, iron-laden
drainage from a flooded underground anthracite mine, Pennsylvania, USA
- 25th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation
(ASMR): June 14-19, 2008 Abstracts/presentation submission due October 15 2007
Effects of historical coal mining and drainage from abandoned mines on streamflow and water quality in Newport and nanticoke Creeks, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, 1999-2000
- Sampling in Mine Drainage -- Looking for Solute Inflows to Streams with Questions on Hyporheic Mixing. Seminar given by Ken Bencala on 5/10/2007
- Basics of SMCRA Title IV -- Summary of federal program that regulates
coal mine reclamation
- USGS Report on Selenium in Coal-Bearing Strata; The report discusses selenium concentrations in rock in three cores from
southern West Virginia and selenium leaching studies from some of these
rock samples. (USGS OFR 2007-1090)
- USEPA changes procedure for calculating aquatic-life standards for copper. Freshwater criteria is now based on the biotic ligand model
- Multiple injected and natural conservative tracers
quantify mixing in a stream confluence affected by acid mine drainage
near Silverton, Colorado
- Net alkalinity and net acidity 1: Theoretical considerations
- Net alkalinity and net acidity 2: Practical considerations
- Report on thermodynamic properties of ferric sulfate minerals.
"Thermodynamic properties and crystal structure refinement of
ferricopiapite, coquimbite, rhomboclase, and Fe2(SO4)3(H2O)5"
- ALPERSITE -- A newly identified mineral has been named "alpersite" in
honor of Charles N. Alpers, geochemist with the USGS California Water
- Trout Unlimited's Grassroots Guide to Abandoned Mine Cleanup
- Integrated investigation of environmental effects of historical mining in the Basin and Boulder mining districts, Boulder River watershed, Montana
- Highway Cut through Pyritic Shale in Pennsylvania Produces Acid Drainage
- USGS Geological Research Activities with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management
- A multiheaded beast--Abandoned mine lands and the challenge of water protection
- Coal Mine Drainage Prediction and Pollution Prevention in Pennsylvania
- Reviews in Economic
Geology--The Environmental Geochemistry of Mineral Deposits (1999) Publication
on Permeable Reactive Barriers (2002)
- 6th Annual Pennsylvania Statewide Conference on Abandoned Mine Reclamation
- ICARD 2000--Proceedings from the Fifth International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage
- Assessing and Re-naturalizing Streams Impacted by Mining - September 25 and 26, 2003, Missoula, MT
- Environmental Aspects Of Mine Wastes Mineralogical Association of Canada Short Course 2003 May 24-25 (Sat.-Sun.), 2003, prior to the GAC–MAC–SEG meeting Vancouver, British Columbia
- Report from the IMWA Congress, Sevilla, Spain
- Negative pH, efflorescent mineralogy, and consequences for environmental
restoration at the Iron Mountain Superfund site, California
interactions on calcite and gypsum in 'anoxic' limestone drains
- Hydrogeology and Geochemistry
of Acid Mine Drainage in Ground Water in the Vicinity of Penn Mine and Camanche
Reservoir, Calaveras County, California: Second Year Summary, 1992-93
Mineral Mapping Using AVIRIS Data at Summitville, Colorado and the Adjacent
San Juan Mountains