|Many of the visitors at our booth wanted to know how to buy USGS products like maps and other publications. For some products like topographic and other maps, it's as easy as ordering on-line; but unfortunately, not all of our products are available that way.
The easiest way to order any USGS product is to call the toll-free number:
It helps to know the names and/or the numbers of the maps and products you are ordering. The links below can help you find this kind of information.
On the USGS web page, "Ordering USGS Products", you will find a link to print out an order form for USGS products. You can fax (with credit card number) or mail this form to the USGS, to the same office that runs the toll free number above. In order to view and print the order form, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free utility that works on any computer platform. Visit Adobe's web site to download this software.
I've listed some of the products we displayed at our booth, and how to order them.
USGS Topographic Maps: Map Finder
- The USGS's "Map Finder" is very comprehensive, to select and purchase the topographic maps of your choice.
Other USGS maps (satellite imagery, small-scale (large area) topos, etc.):
- Here you will find links to Map Finder (described above) and to the Global Land Information System (GLIS) for ALL kinds of paper maps.
Lake Tahoe Bathymetry:
- The exact reference for the posters that we displayed at our booth follows:
- Gardner, James V., Dartnell, Peter, Mayer, Larry A., and Hughes Clarke, John E., 1999, Bathymetry and selected perspective views of Lake Tahoe, California and Nevada: U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigation Report 99-4043, 2 sheets.
- To order these specific posters, you would contact the USGS (see the top of this page) and request Water-Resources Investigation Report 99-4043. There are two posters in the set, so they may cost $14 ($7 each).
- Other sources of Lake Tahoe bathymetry:
- The above web pages contain images similar to the color posters that were on display at our booth. You'll find many more links to other Lake Tahoe data and maps on these pages.
- This company merged the USGS bathymetric data and satellite imagery of the land around Lake Tahoe to produce a beautiful, high resolution map available for purchase.
Central San Francisco Bay Bathymetry:
- The exact reference for the poster that we displayed at our booth follows:
- Gardner, James V., Dartnell, Peter, Mayer, Larry A., Hughes Clarke, John E., and Stone, J. Christopher, 2000, Bathymetry and selected perspective views of central San Francisco Bay, California: U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigation Report 00-4164, 2 sheets.
- To order these specific posters, you would contact the USGS (see the top of this page) and request Water-Resources Investigation Report 00-4164. There are two posters in the set, so they may cost $14 ($7 each).
- Other sources of central SF Bay bathymetry:
- This web site has grayscale versions of the bathymetry.
- Images and interesting perspective views of the bottom of central SF Bay.
Dams and Rivers--A Primer on the Downstream Effects of Dams:
- This colorful, 94-page USGS publication was a popular handout at the Rivers Festival. To order this specific publication, you would contact the USGS (see the top of this page) and request Circular 1126.