|Home||Archived October 29, 2018||(i)|
The overall strategy is is to: 1. Sample modern environments throughout the Greater Everglades Ecosystem to understand the present ecosystem and locate undisturbed shallow sediment cores to analyze ecosystem variability and change over the last few hundred years.
2. Analyze deep cores for sedimentology, diagenesis, biostratigraphy, paleoecology, and chemostratigraphy in transects across the southern Florida Peninsula to better understand the factors controlling ground water movement and to define aquifer characteristics. In order to understand the role of facies relationships and genetic depositional units in determining groundwater flow, the distribution and abundance of micro mollusks, foraminifers, dinocysts, ostracodes, pollen and spores, and charcoal will be analyzed, and strontium isotopes will be used for geochronology.
Weedman, S. D., Simmons, K. R., Scott, T. M., Brewster-Wingard, G. L., Ishman, S. E., Carlin, N. M.
Paillet, F. L, Edwards, L. E., Simmons. K. R., Scott, T. M., Wardlaw, B. R., Reese, R. S., Blair, J. L.
Paillet, F. L., Means, G. H., Scott, T. M.
Graham, Ian, D'Ambrosio, Jill
Cooper, Sherri R., Huvane Jacqueline K.
Ishman, Scott E., Waibel, Neil J., Willard, Debra A., Edwards, Lucy E., Holmes, Charles W.
Means, Guy H., Brewster-Wingard, G. Lynn
Brewster-Wingard, G. Lynn, Fellman, Claire, Ishman, Scott E.
Ishman, Scott, Cronin, Thomas, Edwards, Lucy E., Willard, Debra A., Halley, Robert B.
Ishman, S. E., Edwards, L. E., Willard, D. A.
Brewster-Wingard, G. L., Willard, D. A., Cronin, T. M., Edwards, L. E., Holmes, C. W.
Weimer, Lisa M.
Ishman, S. E., Willard, D. A., Edwards, L. E., Holmes, C. W.
Boomer, I., Dwyer, G., Rodriguez-Lazaro, J.
J. A. Holmes and A. R. Chivas, eds.
Dwyer, G. S., Schwede, S. B., Dowsett, H.
Holmes, C. W.
1. Establish modern census sites and sample every six months for the duration of the project, provide yearly progress reports on the modern census data.
2. Analyze one to three undisturbed cores for each ecosystem history subproject yearly, provide summary report of core upon completion of analysis.
3. Drill numerous holes for analysis of the southwest Florida surficial aquifer system, analyze the cores.
4. Describe and analyze several long cores, with the Florida Geological Survey, for establishing the geologic framework of Florida.
5. Provide paleontological and isotopic support work (as SUPPORTMAP) for activities of the Geological Investigations Projects of the Florida Geological Survey which include: revision of the State Geologic Map and the State Geomorphic Map, surficial sediments and bedrock mapping of the western one-half of the Homestead 1: 100,000 quadrangle, surficial sediments and bedrock geology mapping of the Sarasota 1: 100,000 quadrangle, lithostratigraphic and biostratigraphic investigation of the proposed Okeechobee Formation, siliciclastic-carbonate transition in southern Florida and the Keys, hydrostratigraphic and lithostratigraphic characterization of Cenozoic sediments of the Southwest Florida Water Management District, and West Florida coastal estuarine sediment characterization studies.
Work planned for FY 1998 included:
1. Continue modern census sampling.
2. Complete final coring in the Taylor Slough region and collect a transect of cores across the northern part of Shark River Slough.
3. Develop a collecting and monitoring program with Biscayne Bay National Park of groundwaters entering Biscayne Bay and examine ecosystem history cores to determine the importance and change of groundwater contribution to the bay.
4. Complete analysis of Pass Key core.
5. Finish manuscripts on synthesis of results from cores and species analysis for SFWMD contract.
6. Continue drilling for surficial aquifer and "River of Sand" studies in Collier and Monroe Counties.
7. Complete manuscripts on Hilliard core, validity of the "River of Sand", and stratigraphic correlation of the shallow aquifer system of Collier County.
U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, Center for
Comments and suggestions? Contact: Heather Henkel - Webmaster
Generated by mp version 2.8.18 on Tue Jan 23 05:54:18 2007
|Home||Archived October 29, 2018|