Recently Published Articles
- Ackerman, S.D., Butman, B., Barnhardt, W.A., Danforth, W.W., and Crocker, J.M., High-resolution geologic mapping of the inner continental shelf; Boston Harbor and approaches, Massachusetts: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1008, DVD-ROM [URL http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/pubs/of2006-1008/].
- Albrecht, T., Horak, D., Kreisinger, J., Weidinger, K., Klvana, P., and Michot, T.C., 2006, Factors determining pochard nest predation along a wetland gradient: Journal of Wildlife Management, v. 70, no. 3, p. 784-791.
- Anima, R.J., Chin, J.L., Conrad, J.E., and Golden, N.E., 2006, Benthic habitat and geologic mapping of the outer continental shelf of north-central California: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1177 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1177/].
- Basu, S., Stuart, F.M., Klemm, V., Korschinek, G., Knie, K., and Hein, J.R., 2006, Helium isotopes in ferromanganese crusts from the central Pacific Ocean: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 70, no. 15, p. 3996-4006, doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2006.05.015.
- Butman, B., Alexander, P.S., Anderson, S.P., Lightsom, F.L., Scotti, A., and Beardsley, R.C., 2006, The Massachusetts Bay internal wave experiment, August 1998: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 85, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/2006/85/].
- Cardona-Olarte, P., Twilley, R.R., Krauss, K.W., and Rivera-Monroy, V., 2006, Responses of neotropical mangrove seedlings grown in monoculture and mixed culture under treatments of hydroperiod and salinity: Hydrobiologia, v. 569, no. 1, p. 325-341, doi: 10.1007/s10750-006-0140-1.
- Harrison, S.E., Locker, S.D., Hine, A.C., Edwards, J.H., Narr, D.F., Twichell, D.C., and Mallinson, D.J., Sediment-starved sand ridges on mixed carbonate/siliciclastic inner shelf off west-central Florida: Marine Geology, v. 200, no. 1-4, p. 171-194, doi: 10.1016/S0025-3227(03)00182-8.
- Jaffe, Bruce, and Foxgrover, Amy, 2006, Sediment deposition and erosion in south San Francisco Bay, California from 1956 to 2005: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1287 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1287/].
- Kiage, L.M., Walker, N.D., Balasubram-anian, S., Babin, A., and Barras, J., 2005, Applications of Radarsat-1 synthetic aperture radar imagery to assess hurricane-related flooding of coastal Louisiana: International Journal of Remote Sensing, v. 26, no. 24, p. 5359-5380, doi: 10.1080/01431160500442438.
- Krauss, K.W., Doyle, T.W., Twilley, R.R., Rivera-Monroy, V.H., and Sullivan, J.K., 2006, Evaluating the relative contributions of hydroperiod and soil fertility on growth of south Florida mangroves: Hydrobiologia, v. 569, no. 1, p. 311-324, doi: 10.1007/s10750-006-0139-7.
- Lidz, B.H., 2006, Pleistocene corals of the Florida Keys; architects of imposing reefswhy?: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 22, no. 4, p. 750-759 [URL http://www.jcronline.org/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.2112%2F06-0634.1].
- Lidz, B.H., Reich, C.D., Peterson, R.L., and Shinn, E.A., 2006, New maps, new information; coral reefs of the Florida Keys: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 22, no. 2, p. 260-282 [URL http://www.jcronline.org/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.2112%2F05A-0023.1].
- Madejón, P., Murillo, J.M., Marañón, T., Espinar, J.L., and Cabrera, F., 2006, Accumulation of As, Cd and selected trace elements in tubers of Scirpus maritimus L. from Doñana marshes (South Spain): Chemosphere, v. 64, no. 5, p. 742-748, doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.11.032.
- Poppe, L.J., Ackerman, S.D., Doran, E.F., Moser, M.S., Stewart, H.F., Forfinski, N.A., Gardner, U.L., and Keene, J.A., Geologic interpretation and multibeam bathymetry of the sea floor in southeastern Long Island Sound: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1059, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1059/].
- Thieler, E.R., and Ashton, A.D., Late Quaternary evolution of the Carolina Capes; evidence for an early Holocene transition from five capes to four [abs.]: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 38, no. 7, p. 375 [URL http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2006AM/finalprogram/abstract_112732.htm].
- Thomas, J.R., Middleton, B.A., and Gibson, D.J., 2006, A landscape perspective of stream corridor invasion and habitat characteristics the exotic Dioscorea oppositifolia in southern Illinois: Biological Invasions, v. 8, no. 5, p. 1103-1113, doi: 10.1007/s10530-005-8155-5.
- Ward, G.A., Smith, T.J., III, Whelan, K.R.T., and Doyle, T.W., 2006, Regional processes in mangrove ecosystems; spatial scaling relationships, biomass, and turnover rates following catastrophic disturbance: Hydrobiologia, v. 569, no. 1, p. 517-527, doi: 10.1007/s10750-006-0153-9.
- Woodin, M.C., and Michot, T.C., 2006, Foraging behavior of redheads (Aythya americana) wintering in Texas and Louisiana: Hydrobiologia, v. 567, no. 1, p. 129-141, doi: 10.1007/s10750-006-0057-8.
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
- Barnhardt, W.A., Baldwin, W.D., Denny, J.F., Schwab, W.C., Gayes, P.T., Driscoll, N., and Voulgaris, G., Evolution of surficial sediments in the Merrimack Embayment, western Gulf of Maine; integrating high-resolution mapping of the seafloor with sediment-transport measurements to understand coastal erosion in northern South Carolina [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Bratton, J.F., The importance of shallow confining units to submarine groundwater flow [abs.]: International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG) General Assembly, 24th, Perugia, Italy, July 2-13, 2007.
- Cooper, Alan, and Wardell, Nigel, Report on the workshop for the Antarctic Seismic Data Library System (SCLS), Hobart, Tasmania, July 9, 2006: Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research Report [URL http://www.scar.org/publications/reports/].
- Covault, J.A., Normark, W.R., and Graham, S.A., Highstand fans and the myth of accommodation space; the sand is just in somebody else's deep-water backyard in the California borderland [abs.]: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Annual Convention, Long Beach, Calif., April 1-4, 2007.
- Dartnell, Peter, Collier, Robert, Buktenica, Mark, Jessup, Steven, and Chezar, Henry, Multibeam mapping of Crater Lake, OR, and application of sonar data to model a submerged bryophyte mat [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Santa Fe, N.Mex., February 4-9, 2007.
- Denny, J.F., O'Brien, T.F., Bergeron, E., Twichell, D.C., Worley, C.R., Danforth, W.W., Andrews, B.A., and Irwin, B.J., Advances in shallow-water, high-resolution sea-floor mapping; integrating an autonomous surface vessel (ASV) into nearshore geophysical studies [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Ferre, B., Durrieu de Madron, X., Estournel, C., Ulses, C., and LeCorre, G., Impact of natural (storm) and anthropogenic (trawl) resuspension on the sediment transport on the Gulf of Lions shelf (NW Mediterranean) [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Fisher, M.A., Characteristics of seven faults offshore from southern Californiathe Anacapa-Dume, Channel Islands thrust, Compton thrust, Oakridge Midchannel, Oakridge Offshore, Pitas Point-North Channel and Santa Cruz-Catalina Ridge faults: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1317.
- Fisher, M.A., Ruppert, N.A., Wilson, F.H., Comer, Drew, Sliter, R.W., and Wong, F.L., Clustered seismicity northeast of Augustine Volcano, Alaska, may foreshadow future eruptive phases: Seismological Society of America Bulletin.
- Grossman, E.E., Rosenbauer, R.J., Takesue, R.K., Gelfenbaum, Guy, Reisenbichler, R., Paulson, A., Sexton, N.R., Labiosa, W.B., Beamer, E.M., Hood, W.G., and Wyllie-Echeverria, Sandy, Estuarine science and decision-support tools to restore Puget Sound delta and estuarine ecosystems; the Skagit River Delta [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Hass, K.A., and Warner, J.C., Comparison of a quasi-three dimensional and a fully three dimensional nearshore circulation model [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Hutchinson, D.R., and Rowland, R.W., Law of the sea; recently submitted continental shelf boundaries: Eos (American Geophysical Union Transactions).
- Kalnejais, L.H., Martin, W.R., Signell, R.P., and Bothner, M.H., The role of sediment resuspension in the remobilization of particulate-phase metals from coastal sediments: Environmental Science and Technology.
- Lacy, J.R., Rubin, D.M., Ikeda, Hiroshi, Mokudai, Kuniyasu, and Hanes, D.M., Bedforms created by waves and currents in a large-scale laboratory: Journal of Geophysical Research.
- List, J.H., Hanes, D.M., McNinch, J.E., and Lescinski, J., Modeling coastal change response to shoreface irregularities [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Normark, W.R., Paull, C.K., Caress, D.W., Ussler, W., III, Keaten, R., and Sliter, Ray, Fine-scale relief on the floor of upper Redondo fan valley; multibeam bathymetry and chirp reflection profiles from the MBARI Mapping AUV in San Pedro Basin, offshore southern California [abs.]: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Annual Convention, Long Beach, Calif., April 1-4, 2007.
- Paull, C.K., Normark, W.R., Ussler, W., III, Caress, D.W., and Keaten, R., Active faulting, gas hydrate formation, and the growth of seafloor blisters in Santa Monica Basin, California [abs.]: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Annual Convention, Long Beach, Calif., April 1-4, 2007.
- Sherwood, C.R., Murray, C., Sanford, L., Warner, J.C., Wiberg, P.L., Blumber, A., Harris, C.K., and Signell, R., Cohesive sediment erodibility algorithms in ROMS and sediment test cases and evolution of a mud deposit on the Palos Verdes Shelf [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Signell, R., Techniques and tools for effective collaboration with large model data sets [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Campbell, P.L., Poore, R.Z, Osterman, L.E., and Rosenbauer, R.J., Examining offshore sediment-hosted contaminant transport from Hurricane Katrina, in Science and the storms: U.S. Geological Survey Circular.
- Waite, W.F., Kneafsey, T.J., Santamarina, C.J., Winters, W.J., Yun, T.-S., Mason, D.H., and Ruppel, C.D., Physical property changes in hydrate-bearing sediment samples due to depressurization/repressurization [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Waite, W.F., Stern, L.A., Winters, W.J. and Mason, D.H., 2006, Simultaneous determination of thermal conductivity, thermal diffusivity and specific heat in sI methane hydrate [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Warner, J.C., Sherwood, C.R., Signell, R., and Arango, H.G., Investigating the effects of wave-current interactions on nearshore sediment transport using a coupled three-dimensional sediment, circulation, and wave model [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Williams, S.J., Arsenault, M.A., Buczkowski, B.J., Reid, J.A., Flocks, J.G., Kulp, M., Penland, S., and Jenkins, C.J., Surficial sediment character of the Louisiana offshore continental shelf region; a GIS compilation: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1195.
- Xu, Jingping, and Wong, Florence, Sand wave migrations within Monterey Submarine Canyon [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Zawada, D.G., Hu, Chuanmin, Chen, Zhiqiang, Brock, J.C., and Clayton, Tonya, Particle backscattering for the surface waters of Chesapeake Bay from SeaWiFS data; initial results from a 7-year retrospective view: Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science.
in this issue:
Invasive Sea Squirts Persist on Georges Bank
Aerial Shoreline Reconnaissance of Alaska's North Slope
California and the World Ocean Conference
Debbie Norling Honored with Excellence Award
New Member of Western Marine Facility Staff
October 2006 Publications List